Elizabeth Turnbull – Personal Profile
1936: Born Sydney, Australia (Elizabeth Brown). 1957: Marries Sydney. 1972: No formal art training. Begins painting & printmaking in Brisbane, Australia
after youngest of four children commenced schooling.
1972-76: Exhibits in solo and group
exhibitions in Brisbane winning awards and attracting favourable critical
notice. 1976-81: Travels extensively in Europe and UK, exhibiting in Spain
and UK. Has own studio/gallery in Cuenca, Spain (1976-77) and Hebden Bridge,
West Yorkshire, UK (1977-79). 1979: Visits Outsiders exhibition
at Hayward Gallery, London and becomes aware for the first time of ‘art
brut’ and ‘outsider
art’. 1981: Returns to Brisbane. 1982-89: Continues painting and
drawing but exhibits rarely. !989-98: Visits Europe several times, with ‘outsider’
art a main focus of interest. 1998: Meets leading French ‘artist singulier’
Danielle Jacqui in Provence & is invited to participate
in 6th Festival d’Art Singulier, Roquevaire-Aubagne, Provence.
2000-01: Participates in Festival, supported by
Arts Queensland grant & spends six months living and working
in France and Spain. 2001:Participates in first-ever major
exhibition of ‘outsider’
art’ in Spain and has works chosen for permanent collection of
first Spanish ‘’outsider art’ museum. 2002: Exhibition Journeyings at Gallery 482, Brisbane. 2002-05: Continues participation in ‘outsider art’ festivals in France.
2002-04: Purchases cottage in NE Tasmania and spends summer months living
and working there. 2004-05: Exhibits works from The Ancestors series
at Gallery 482, Brisbane, Burnie Regional Art Gallery and e.ScApe Gallery,
St Marys. 2005: Makes Hobart, Tasmania her permanent home. 2005: Exhibits in RAF2005 in London. 2006: Exhibits in The
Other Face of the Moon - Raw Art, Villa Caruso, Lastra a Signa, Italy, assisted by Arts Tasmania grant. 2006-08: Exhibits in Raw Art Festivals in Valencia, Spain, New York & Los Angeles. 2009: Youngest son Iain dies of cancer aged 43. 2012: Offers number of works to The Dax Centre Collection, Melbourne. 2013: Included in The Dax Centre exhibition Reverie. 2014: Participant in The Dax Centre group exhibition Raw Emotions. 2015: 65 works acquired for permanent Cunningham Dax Collection. 2015-2016: Included in The Dax Centre group exhibition A Mind Beginning to Know Itself. 2016: Painting Freedom (2007) chosen as cover image of April issue of Australasian Psychiatry.
- 2005: e.ScApe Gallery, St Marys, Tasmania
- 2004-05: Burnie Regional Art Gallery, Burnie, Tasmania
- 2002,2004: Gallery 482, Brisbane, Queensland
- 1989: Northlight Studios, Melbourne Works, Hebden Bridge, West Yorkshire,
- 1982: Paddington Gallery, Red Hill, Brisbane.
- 1981: Farewell Exhibition, Hebden Bridge, West Yorkshire, UK.
- 1979: Leeds Playhouse Gallery, Leeds, West Yorkshire, UK.
- 1978: Manston Art Gallery, West Yorkshire, UK.
- 1978: Smith Art Gallery (Calderdale Municipal Gallery), Brighouse,
West Yorkshire, UK.
- 1978: Peter Lewis Gallery, Brisbane.
- 1977: Casa de Cultura, Cuenca, Spain.
- 1977: Galeria Toison, Madrid, Spain.
- 1973,1974, 1975, 1976: Twelfth Night Theatre Gallery,
- 1974,1975: Queensland Craft Association Gallery,
- 1974: Garowie Gallery, Ipswich.
- 1983: Spring Hill Gallery, Brisbane (with Louise Blood)
Participation in Group Exhibitions
- 2015-6: A Mind Beginning to Know Itself, The Dax Centre, Melbourne, Australia.
- 2014: Raw Emotions, The Dax Centre, Melbourne, Australia.
- 2013: Reverie, The Dax Centre, Melbourne, Australia.
- 2008: RAF2008, Raw Art Festival, Los Angeles, USA.
- 2007: Women Tasmania International Women's Day Exhibition, Hobart, Tasmania.
- 2007: RAF2007, Raw Art Festival, New York, USA.
- 2006: CAST Members' Annual Exhibition, Hobart, Tasmania
- 2006: Women Tasmania Senior Women's Exhibition. Hobart, Tasmania.
- 2006: RAF2006, Raw Art Festival, Valencia, Spain.
- 2006: The Other Face of the Moon - Raw Art, Villa Caruso, Lastra
a Signa, Italy.
- 2006: Women Tasmania International Women's Day Exhibition, Hobart, Tasmania.
- 2005: CAST Members' Annual Exhibition, Hobart, Tasmania
- 2005: RAF2005, Raw Art Festival, London, UK
- 2004: CAST Members' Annual Exhibition, Hobart, Tasmania
- 2003: Le Monde Entier est un Théâtre - L’Art par la
Grande Poste II, 57th Festival d’Avignon, Avignon,
- 2003:Les Saisons, 7th Exposition Internationale Art Postal, Pézenas,
- 2002: 7th International Festival d’Art Singulier, Roquevaire,
- 2002: L’Art par la Grande Poste, 56th Festival d’Avignon,
- 2002:Le Cirque, 6th Exposition Internationale Art Postal, Pézenas,
- 2001: El Arte Singular (first Spanish exhibition of ‘outsider’ art),
Monasterio de Veruela, Zaragoza, Spain.
- 2000: 6th International Festival d’Art Singulier, Roquevaire-Aubagne,
- 1988: Group Exhibition, Grahame Galleries, Brisbane.
- 1984: Woman & Labour Exhibition, Qld.University, Brisbane
- 1982,1983: Group Exhibitions, Spring Hill Gallery, Brisbane.
- 1977: Group Exhibition, Casa de Cultura, Cuenca, Spain.
- 1975: L.J.Harvey Drawing Prize Exhibition, Qld.Art Gallery.
- 1975: Happening in the Park , Art/Theatre experiment +
exhibition, 12th Night Theatre Gallery, Brisbane.
- 1974,1975: Twelfth Night Theatre Gallery Annual Exhibition.,
- 1974,1975: Craft Association of Queensland Annual Exhibition,
- 1973, 1974: Royal Queensland Art Society Annual Exhibition,
2005: Arts Tasmania Grant to assist
participation in The Other Face of the Moon - Raw Art, an invited
outsider art exhibition in Italy - March 2006.
2000: Arts Queensland Individual
Professional Development Grant to assist participation in the 6th Festival
d’Art Singulier de Roquevaire-Aubagne
en Provence, France.
Prizes & Acquisitions
- 2015: Acquisition of 65 works for Cunningham Dax Collection, Melbourne
- 1985: First Prize (Drawing): Caloundra Art & Craft Awards, Qld.
- 1983,1984: Acquired St Alban's Art Prize, Southport, Qld.
First Prize – Garden
City Art Awards, Qld.
- 1982,1986: Acquired – Stanthorpe Civic Art Gallery – Stanthorpe
Biennial Art Festival, Qld.
- 1978: Acquisition – Calderdale Municipal Art Collection,
W. Yorks., UK.
- 1975: Acquired (Serigraph) – Dalby Annual Art Award, Qld. (Judge: Dr
- 1974: First Prize (Acquisitive) – Qld. Rugby Union Club Art Competition
- Works in Private and Public Collections in England, Wales,
France, Spain, Holland, West Germany, USA, Canada, New
Zealand and Australia.
- 2009: Whisperings
of Angels published by CreateSpace and available from Amazon as print-on-demand title.
- 2006: Whisperings of Angels printed in special limited hardcover edition (32 copies) to celebrate my 70th birthday.
- 2001: “The
Magdalen – Forgotten Goddess” – exploring the ambiguous role
played by Mary Magdalene in religious mythology. 206pp text + 12 colour illustrations.
- 2000: Whisperings
of Angels – reflections on the place of ‘angels’ in
our lives. 298pp text + 39 colour and B&W illustrations.
- 1997: A Tale of Some Consequence and Truth– A book of meditative
writing & poetry. 200pp.text & 29 B&W illustrations. (Note: The last two only produced in limited not-for-sale editions.)
in Other Publications etc
- 2016: Painting Freedom (2007) used as cover image — Australasian Psychiatry, April issue.
- 1999: “Tiger to the Rescue” (Crase Street Press), 4 Colour
illustrations for small children’s book. Limited
- 1995: "Ma & Gramps' Special Birthday Book of Australian Birds" (Crase
Street Press) – 4 B&W illustrations for small book of poems. Limited
- 1995: "The Lost Lake" (Crase Street
Press) – 6 B&W illustrations for small children's book. Limited edition.
- 1993: "Ma & Gramps' Little
Book of Australian Birds" (Crase Street Press) – 25 B&W illustrations
for book of poems. 1000 copies sold raising over $ 5,000 for Wesley Hospital Breast Clinic, Brisbane, Qld.
- 1991: "Body Lines – A
Women's Anthology" (Women's Redress Press Inc ) – B&W Drawing "Joy" selected
for publication from Australia wide entries.
- 1987: "Foldan Sceatas (Folded Sheets)" (Open Township, West Yorks.)– Poetry
Anthology – Drawing used as cover illustration.